Monday, July 9, 2012

My Works Cited Pages




CARL JOHN SATTLER, 'WHEN THE LEVEE BROKE' b/w 'ONE PAGE, ONE PAUL'  (LINK, 1985)

I'm not sure I possess the right amount of letters following my surname to properly interpret the AOR tea-leaves of Carl John Sattler's 'Pictures At 23 (Link)' single.  You thought they only gave titles to albums?  We-he-ll, you obviously don't know Carl John Sattler!  He's so high-minded that he not only named this private-press single, he also thought it proper to include a parenthetical in its dubbing (No Augustus Pablo).  Think of it as a chaser or an after-dinner mint.

I'm not fooling, I really don't know what to make of this record besides the fact that it rules in an extremely ideological fashion.  Beatles interview snippets, semi-locked groove, profanity, whispered backwards lyrics, total Rundgren/Cheap Trick guitar.  An intricate label design and a one sided picture sleeve only adds to the mystery. 

I'm also not sure if Carl John Sattler is the performer or the songwriter here.  In any event, I think the b-side 'One Page, One PAUL' totally rules. A proper paean to the clearly better Beatle.

One year past Orwell:  here we are.  This is Bobb Trimble with a perm and a degree in the humanities if his life's ambition was to to be a guitar tech for Boston or Crack The Sky.  Enjoy then and please make sure to circulate your papers before next week's seminar and to be prepared to discuss romantic facts of musketeers and the mongrel dogs who teach.

"WHEN THE LEVEE BROKE"


"ONE PAGE ONE PAUL"
EDIT: Uh Oh.

No comments: